May is #FrankieMonth
Frankie Manning’s birthday is May 26th but his birthdays never could be contained to just a single day of celebration. Let’s use the entire month of May to honour Frankie’s contributions to lindy hop and his positive spirit. Read about Frankie Month.
- Tell people about Frankie Manning and the history and origins of Lindy hop
- Share Frankie videos and stories
- Party like Frankie! Throw a swingin’ birthday party or a lindy hop dance that Frankie would have enjoyed
- Play the music of the Savoy Ballroom and the big bands of the swing era
- Hold Frankie Manning inspired dance classes and workshops; here’s a great list and here are some helpful videos
- Emphasize Frankie’s values in your community
- Read Frankie’s autobiography, Frankie Manning: Ambassador of Lindy Hop
- Raise funds so that the Frankie Manning Foundation can continue Frankie’s mission
- Use #FrankieMonth when sharing your plans on social media
The Spirit of Frankie Month
In the spirit of Frankie, we encourage you to:
- Collaborate and make it inclusive within your community.
- Contact other dancers and local organizers and work together to make it a celebration that unites all dancers in your community.
Promote the spirit of Frankie with these values:
- authenticity to the roots of the dance
Who is Frankie Manning?
Legendary Lindy Hopper Frankie Manning passed away in 2009, but his spirit lives on in the hearts and feet of swing dancers around the world. Frankie is remembered and revered for his vital role in the history and revival of swing dancing, as well as for his radiant and charismatic personality. His legacy is hugely important and widely influential, and #FrankieMonth is celebrated around the world each May. Learn more about Frankie Manning.